Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Don't Limit Yourself!

       I'm writing this article based my personal experiences with a few students that have limited their own potential, perhaps unintentionally.  If you recognize any of these traits within yourself you should eliminate them.
    Education is the ultimate key to unlocking what you can do.  Simply put, the more you know, the more options you have.  I have known some people who have feared gaining a proper music education for fear that it would hamper their creativity.  My argument is that this very concept of being content with remaining ignorant is hampering their creativity.
     Another instance was when a friend did not want to take lessons because they wanted to figure it out on their own. I thought, "Okay, buddy but your not going to get very far". Of course I did not tell them this, but I was bothered by the fact that they were too proud to learn from someone else.
       I had a student that said that they wanted to be a better guitar player. Every time I would try to teach them a new concept, they would whine and complain about how difficult it was.  My thoughts were, of course, "Aren't you here to improve?  Isn't this why you wanted to take lessons? "
    In general, you must keep an open mind when it comes to learning and be prepared to try new things.  If you keep doing the same things, you will always get the same results.