Sunday, June 26, 2011

Ry Cooder, have I heard the wrong albums?

This is my first personal post/rant.  I love listening to slide guitar players and I'm always looking for new slide players to listen to.  I have many that I like such as Duane Allman, Derek Trucks, Johnny Winter, Bob Brozman, Eric Sardinas, etc...  Throughout all of my research, one name keeps coming up. Ry Cooder.  I have heard and read all kinds of great things about this musician, however, every time I have listened to him I have not been impressed.  I even have a couple of his albums and everything seems to be lackluster.  A friend of mine even loaned me the soundtrack from the movie "The Crossroads".  I loved that movie and the music that was in it, but the album seems drab and boring.  What I want to know is, where are these great examples of his playing?